Frequently Asked Questions
SaniTru is an easy-to-use portable appliance that electrolyzes ordinary tap water (along with added salt and vinegar) and converts the natural ingredients into a powerful multi-purpose cleaner, disinfectant and sanitizer. SaniTru is your DIY multi-purpose cleaner/disinfectant and sanitizer that will replace practically every other cleaning agent you use. SaniTru’s electrolyzed water is also eco-friendly (no packaging waste) and a family-friendly way to clean, disinfect, and sanitize.
The solution created by the SaniTru system contains no harmful chemicals, and consists of two natural, powerful ingredients:
- Hypochlorous acid (HOCl)- a disinfectant that's as effective as bleach.
- Sodium hydroxide (NaOH)- a detergent that cleans and cuts grease and grime without lather.
The solution is applied to hard, non-porous surfaces via SaniTru’s unique, patented Pressurized Atomizing spray head, which spreads the disinfectant widely and finely on surfaces, eliminating the need for wiping or scrubbing.
Yes. SaniTru kills 99.9% of germs and when used as directed. SaniTru has not yet been tested on COVID-19, as commercial testing has not been widely available. We will update this FAQ as soon as testing is completed.
SaniTru is designed to be eco-friendly in three main areas.
- Eliminates the use of toxic cleaners and disinfectants at home.
- Reduces the volume of plastic bottles bought, used and thrown every year.
- Keeps your house and business clean while saving money wasted on different brands, solvents, and devices.
- SaniTru uses ONLY 3 natural ingredients – water, salt & vinegar, there are no dyes, fragrances, preservatives or added chemicals, and it's hypoallergenic.
- SaniTru is so gentle, there is no need for gloves.
- There are no harmful fumes or the need for goggles.
Electrolyzed water, the same formula that is produced through electrolysis by SaniTru using salt, vinegar, and ordinary tap water, has been an effective, time-tested cleaning solution for decades. Until recently, the only way you could get HOCl was to make it yourself with huge, expensive capital equipment owned by large corporations, the military, and medical facilities. The HOCl solution itself has a short, unstable shelf life that made manufacture and wide distribution impossible. SaniTru was able to miniaturize this equipment to bring the same powerful process to your home. SaniTru is manufactured in an EPA-registered facility, and we are now able to make this proven technology affordable to all. Now you can make electrolyzed water in small batches a tiny fraction of the cost of commercial cleaners.
Cleaning with regular vinegar can damage certain stone surfaces, as well as corrode grout and rubber objects. SaniTru cleans these surfaces (and virtually any hard, non-porous surface) without fear of compromise. While it is a viable natural cleaner in some situations, vinegar by itself is not as effective as bleach at killing 99.9% of germs, like SaniTru is. In addition, SaniTru leaves your surfaces with a light, fresh scent unlike the distinctly acidic odor that vinegar leaves behind.
No, there is no bleach in electrolyzed water, the cleaning solution that you make with SaniTru. While it is as effective as bleach, electrolyzed water (HOCl) has a different chemical composition than bleach (sodium hypochlorite, or NaOCl). Bleach has a pH of 11+ and removes the color from fabric. Electrolyzed water is colorfast (will not whiten fabrics), and has a pH of between 4 and 6.
There are no added fragrances, fumes or heavy vinegar aroma. If anything at all, when you spray the fine mist from the patented Pressurized Atomizing spray head, you may notice a very light, fresh scent. This is the result of trace amounts of chlorine generated which convert to HOCl during the electrolysis of salt, vinegar, and water.
SaniTru replaces every cleaner, sanitizer, deodorizer, and disinfectant you have in your cleaning closet. The cost of ingredients for a 16.9 oz bottle is about $0.02 per bottle, which means you save money every time you use it.
Surfaces and Tips
SaniTru can be used on virtually any washable (hard, non-porous) surface, for any job requiring cleaning, deodorizing or disinfecting.
- Brushed Nickel
- Polished Nickel
- Brushed Bronze
- Sealed Granite
- Sealed Marble
- Sealed Quartz
- Sealed Stone
- Stainless Steel
- Finished Wood
- Painted Wood
- Porcelain, non-porous
- ABS Plastics
- Tile, non-porous
- Natural Rubber, non-porous
Yes. There are no harsh chemicals like in other cleaning products, and, after drying, leaves no harmful residues.
SaniTru will leave a damp surface that usually evaporates after about 10 minutes. Our patented pressurized spray head compresses the air to create a fine atomized mist that effectively covers a large area in just a few sprays. You may leave it to air dry or wipe it with a dry cloth or tissue paper.
Independent laboratory tests show that SaniTru kills 99.9% of tested germs within 1 minute.
SaniTru spray bottle is made out of plastic.
The solution that SaniTru sprays will not block the sprayer. SaniTru comes with a 1-year warranty. Adding any essential oil or any other additive (except salt and distilled white vinegar) is not recommended.
About 10 days. The fresh hypochlorous acid created by SaniTru starts to disintegrate in about 10 days. SaniTru has been independently tested to remain effective for 10 days in the bottle. To be absolutely sure, you can always check the power of your solution with the help of the pH strips provided in the kit. SaniTru creates 500ml (16 oz.) of powerful disinfectant and costs only pennies ($.02 to be exact), most families use up a bottle within a week. It replaces your need to buy expensive and toxic bleach, deodorizers, kitchen, bath & glass cleaners. Because it is biodegradable and non-polluting, you can dispose of any unused product right down the drain.
While SaniTru is made with natural ingredients, it is intended to be used on hard surfaces and not for consumption. Ingestion in large quantities (greater than one liter or quart) may produce gastric discomfort, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. If you experience any of these symptoms, drink large quantities of water and consult with a physician.
- On glass & stainless steel, avoid streaking by wiping with a clean cloth or paper towel. Unlike ammonia or alcohol based cleaners, SaniTru has no drying accelerants.
- In the bathroom, SaniTru removes soap scum, stops odors and kills 99.9% of germs when used as directed. Effective on porcelain, glass, grout, tile, sealed marble. In shared bathrooms, use often on high touch areas like doorknobs, toilet handles, and faucets.
- Works with ordinary toilet brushes and scrub sponges on surfaces where you normally use abrasives. Try adding a mild abrasive like baking soda for the first few uses if you have surface porosity & build up.
- SaniTru does not discolor fabric like bleach. However, as a precaution, always test for color-fastness and let dry before using on rugs or fabric. On soft metals like brass and copper, rinse with water or wipe until the surface is completely dry rather than let sit on the surface.
- Saturate greasy and oily surfaces, then wipe clean. If grease is cooked on, let SaniTru sit for 2-3 minutes to seep into the grease before wiping clean. Can be used in gyms for routine cleaning.
SaniTru removes odor in sports gear. Using the Pressurized Atomizing spray head, douse the equipment until it is soaked, then let dry without rinsing to kill the odor-causing bacteria at its source. To prevent new smells from forming, spray after each use for ongoing odor control.
SaniTru does not discolor fabric like bleach. However, as a precaution, always test for color-fastness and let dry before using on rugs or fabric (There is wide variety in the types of dyes, fibers and processes for making rugs & fabrics colorfast).
While SaniTru is not a bleach, it is a form of chlorine (HOCl). So it is best to not use on fabrics where the washing instructions say "only use non-chlorine bleach". To Clean:
- Lift up as much of the accident as possible with dry paper towels or cloths.
- Spray the surface with the patented Pressurized Atomizing spray head until it is soaked.
- Wait for 2 minutes for surface to dry.
- Spray each layer of the rug or fabric that has been soiled, including the underside to ensure you are removing the source of the odor and stain.
- Use clean paper towels or cloths to wipe up any remaining stain or soil.
- If odor remains, go through the process again to ensure all layers of the surface have been saturated and then allowed to dry.
- Using the supplied measuring spoon, add one (1) even spoonful (3g) of fine table salt to the bottle. Do not overfill or underfill the measuring spoon. We recommend using only non-iodized, fine table salt (Iodized salt will reduce the concentration of the solution).
- Fill the bottle with cold tap water up to the max fill right below the neck of the bottle (about 500ml).
- Remove 1.25ml (1⁄4 tsp) of vinegar from the dropper bottle using the supplied graduated dropper and add it to the SaniTru bottle.
- Screw the aerosol spray head onto the bottle until snug. Shake the bottle well until the salt is fully dissolved. Remove the aerosol spray head and plug the supplied USB cord into the bottle and the other end into any USB outlet/charger. CAUTION: Be sure that the salt added to the bottle is fully dissolved before starting the electrolysis cycle. CAUTION: Do not electrolyze the water with the aerosol spray head attached. This may cause pressure to build up and make the solution leak on your counter.
- Press the button on the activator base and keep it pressed until you hear a beep. The LED light changes from Red to Green. The unit will now electrolyze the water to make a sanitizing and disinfecting solution. The Green light will blink until the electrolysis cycle is complete, about 10 minutes.When the cycle is complete, the SaniTru will beep one time and the blinking green light will turn to a steady blue light.
- After the electrolysis process is complete, use the test strips provided to verify that the hypochlorous solution has necessary level of free chlorine (200 ppm or higher) and a pH of between 4-6. These criteria apply while running a 10-minute batch. If the pH is above 6, add a little more vinegar to the solution. If the free chlorine is less than 200 ppm, run the electrolysis cycle one more time by pressing and holding the button on the activator base until you hear a double beep and the cycle starts again.
- CAUTION: Except as described, do not run more than one cycle per bottle. Do not unplug the unit before the cycle has been completed.
- When the electrolysis process is complete, unplug the USB charging cord from the SaniTru bottle and reattach the aerosol spray head to the bottle.
- Pre-clean surface before applying solution. Spread solution with a microfiber, cotton, disposable paper towel, sponge, cloth or other wipes. Allow surface to remain wet for 10 minutes. Wipe the surface dry if desired after the 10 minutes. No rinsing necessary, except on food contact surfaces.
- Remove all animals and feed from area before disinfecting. Remove and clean all litter and droppings from hard non-porous surfaces before disinfecting. Spray solution on hard, nonporous surfaces until thoroughly wet.
After the electrolysis process is complete, use the test strips provided to verify that the hypochlorous solution has the necessary level of free chlorine (200 ppm or higher) and a pH of between 4-6. These criteria apply while running a 10-minute batch. If the pH is above 6, add a little more vinegar to the solution. If the free chlorine is less than 200 ppm, run the electrolysis cycle one more time by pressing and holding the button on the activator base until you hear a double beep and the cycle starts again.
No worries. Just add a little more vinegar and run the electrolyzer for 10 more minutes.
Best results are with ordinary non-iodized fine table salt and white vinegar with 5% acidity. There are no costly, proprietary ingredients to buy or expensive subscriptions for cleaning capsules like with other cleaning products. You can make an inexpensive, limitless supply with ordinary ingredients.
If you have hard water (> 100ppm), the electrolyzer will work properly, however the mineral content of your water may leave deposits on the plate of the machine. To ensure a long life with the machine, wash the plate regularly. Alternatively, you can use water softener, a reverse osmosis filter, or bottled water instead.
Using the Disinfectant
For best results, clean the surface of soil or residue, then apply liberally on hard, non-porous surfaces for full contact. Leave wet for 10 minutes for full disinfecting power. Either let dry or wipe the surface with a clean cloth or towel.
No protective gloves or goggles are necessary. There are no harsh chemicals or fumes generated by SaniTru. The solution is gentle, hypoallergenic, made with natural ingredients, and is free of fragrances, dyes, preservatives, surfactants, and allergens.
Yes – you can use ordinary sponges, brushes, scrubbers, cleaning towels or paper towels. For cleaning jobs that require an abrasive (like with soap scum), use your regular scrub brush or scrubby sponge.
Unlike conventional cleaners, SaniTru leaves no harmful residues that require rinsing or scrubbing. Simply spray the solution on any surface, leave on for 10 minutes for full cleaning power and let dry or wipe with a clean cloth or paper towel. On glass & stainless steel, avoid streaking by wiping with a clean cloth or paper towel. Unlike ammonia or alcohol based cleaners, SaniTru has no drying accelerants.
The electrolyzed water made by the SaniTru disinfecting appliance is suitable for germ-killing use for up to 10 days after you make it. After 10 days, it begins to lose its effectiveness and can be discarded via the sink drain.